Tattoo Aftercare: What You Need to Know
Aftercare starts as soon as your tattoo is done. The artist should apply a thin layer of ointment over the tattoo, and then cover the area in a bandage or plastic wrap. This covering prevents bacteria from getting into your skin. It also protects the tattoo from rubbing on your clothes and getting irritated.
Keep the dressing on for a few hours. It will help absorb any fluid or excess ink that leaks from the tattoo.
If the tattoo artist was using after tattoo liquids like “Tattoo Finish” remove the film within 1 hour.
Wash your hands first with lukewarm water and soap. Then gently wash the tattoo with fragrance-free antibacterial liquid soap and warm water.
Pat your skin dry with a soft paper tissues. Apply a small amount of ointment to the tattoo (raw coconut oil). You should keep the bandage off at this point to let your skin breathe.
Repeat this “wash – dry – cream” procedure 3-4 times a day for 2 weeks
use coconut oil as moisturizer till tattoo fully healed for around 90 days (full skin regeneration cycle) 1-2 times a day to avoid tattoo being too dry.
While your tattoo heals, you should:
- wear sun-protective clothing whenever you go outside
- keep Your tattoo clean
- call your tattoo artist or doctor if you have any signs of infection or other problems
- cover your tattoo with sunblock until it’s fully healed
- scratch or pick at the tattoo
- wear tight clothing over the tattoo
- go swimming or immerse your body in water (showers are fine)
- any serious exercises (gym, running, cycling etc.)
Aftercare with tattoo film
Keep the film for 2-6 days (depending on film).
Before removing the film get hot shower (but not too hot).
Start removing the film carefully and slowly, Pull the film from centre of tattoo towards the edge (shown in video)
- wash – dry – cream 3-4 times a day till tattoo fully heals after film was removed
- use coconut oil as moisturizer till tattoo fully healed for around 90 days (full skin regeneration cycle) 1-2 times a day to avoid tattoo being too dry.